How to Iron on a Patch to a Backpack- Guide 2022

The use of Iron-on Patches is a great way to express your individuality and showcase your artistic talent. Ironing on a patch may appear to be easy, but it is not as easy as it seems. One small mistake can mess up your entire backpack, don’t worry, I’ll be here to help you in this case. Here, I’ll show you how to iron on a patch to a backpack.

However, sewing the patches maybe the other option.  But ironing it is the best choice since it will make it look more natural.

How to Iron on a Patch to a Backpack: Step-by-Step Guide

Surely, you may say, ironing on a patch to a backpack is not difficult.

To attain that beautiful design that you are striving for, skill and adherence to a particular set of steps are key. Even the type of iron-on label you choose, whether embroidered or flat, makes a big difference in the quality of your finished product.

Below, we discuss how to iron on patches and put patches on a backpack as well as many related things, and we hope you have received the answers you were looking for.

First, Know the Fabrics!

So before you iron on that patch, be sure you understand the fabric. If you have a denim or cotton backpack, these are the best types of fabrics for the labels because they are easier to work with.

However, leather backpacks can be troublesome and cumbersome for the attachment of labels. A backpack made with fabrics such as silk and polyester is not well-suited for such an accessory. They’re not easy to bleach during this operation, they’re easily discolored or they burn.

Moreover, not all patches come with adhesive already on the back. Some patches are only cloth-backed, so you will need to find an adhesive to hold them together when ironing. Make sure to check the tag on the backpack so you can attach it.

Almost done! Once you have put your backpack on the ironing board, it is ready for the next step. Next, let’s proceed to the next step.

Stick the Patch to the Backpack

Place the patch where you need to place it and make sure that it is perfectly placed. Then, with your iron, press firmly over top of it and then lift off of it. You should see that it has stuck onto your backpack. If not, try again until it does stick on there. 

Set the Right Temperature of Iron

One trick here is setting the iron at the right temperature to prevent problems. Understand the material you’re working with. When it comes to ironing on labels, the appropriate temperature for best results falls between 270 and 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Put a Towel or Old Cloth Over the Patch

Firstly, set the temperature of your iron, but don’t touch it to your cloth; place your backpack onto a smooth surface and place your patch on it, wherever you want to put it, and then place a piece of old towel or old clothes over it. 

Iron the Patch Onto the Backpack 

The towel or old cloth should be ironed for not more than 30 seconds after being placed over the patch. This will prevent your patch and backpack from getting damaged, thus resulting in the burning of your patch.

Check Out the Patch

It’s time to check, you need to remove the towel and examine your work if the patch has been properly ironed.

If you are getting frustrated, take a five-minute break, and let your backpack and sticker go cold before you attempt to reposition it.

Iron on the Other Side

Now it’s time to finish by ironing the other side. This is a bit difficult because you are carrying a backpack. Be careful not to wrinkle the label as you attach it to the backpack. Put the towel behind the backpack where the label is and iron it again.

This step is absolutely necessary for the success of your patch-on operation. If you’re ironing the other side, you’re once again melting the adhesive and assuring that it will properly stick to the fabric. less than 10 or 15 seconds is all you need for this step.

Give it Time to Cool

If you have followed all the instructions discussed above, take a break and wait around one hour, and then check to see if it is completely cool; if things go as predicted, there’s a 90% chance it will survive, but there’s still a 10% chance it won’t.

Hence, go through the instructions 1-2 times and you’ll learn how to stick it out.

Can You Wash Iron on Patches?

Yes. Provided the patches are put on properly, they can be washed. Be careful not to use hot water when cleaning these patches, as this can soften the glue and render them ineffective. Washing these patches in cold water is recommended. When you’re washing your backpack in a machine, set it to a gentle cycle to prevent damaging the patched side.

How to iron on patch to nylon backpack?

If you are looking to attach an iron-on patch to a nylon backpack, the process is relatively simple. First, make sure that the area of the backpack where you want to attach the patch is clean and free of any dirt or debris. Next, lay down a thin towel over the area to protect it from heat damage. Then, set your iron to medium heat and place the patch in the desired location. Once the patch is in place, press down with the iron and hold for 15-20 seconds. Remove the iron and allow the patch to cool before using the backpack.

How do you put a patch on a backpack?

There are two common ways to attach patches to backpacks – sewing and ironing. Sewing is the more traditional method and will provide a more permanent hold on the patch. Ironing is generally faster and easier, and can still provide a good hold if done correctly.

Can you put an iron-on patch on the leather?

Yes, you can put an iron-on patch on leather, as long as the leather is not too thick. If the leather is too thick, the heat from the iron may not be able to penetrate and attach to the patch. You may need to sew such patches on instead.

Read More: Can you Wash a North Face Backpack


This post was all about ‘How to iron on a patch to a backpack.’ I hope you followed the steps correctly. If you have any problems related to any of the steps discussed, please post a comment and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Sharing Is Caring:

Hey, I'm Liv Minka. Currently, I am a student and a part-time blogger who loves to write about backpacking experiences and reviews.

Leave a Comment